The Pension Protection Act of 2006 repealed ERISA section 4011 for plan years beginning after December 31, 2006, and created new disclosure requirements for single-employer plans under ERISA section 101(f). Section 4011 of ERISA required certain underfunded plans to notify participants of the plan's funding status and the limits on PBGC's guarantee. PBGC's Participant Notice regulations are at 29 CFR Part 4011. PBGC issued annual Participant Notice Technical Updates and informal guidance on complying with Participant Notice requirements.
- Technical Update 06-3: 2006 Participant Notice (8/30/06)
- Technical Update 05-1: 2005 Participant Notice (9/14/05)
- Technical Update 04-4: 2004 Participant Notice (9/20/04)
- Technical Update 03-17: 2003 Model Participant Notice (9/5/03)
- Technical Update 02-2: 2002 Model Participant Notice (8/29/02)
- Technical Update 00-5: Due Date 2000 Participant Notice (11/22/00)
- Technical Update 00-2: 2000 Model Participant Notice (3/27/00)
- Technical Update 99-1: 1999 Model Participant Notice (3/1/99)
- Technical Update 98-1: 1998 Model Participant Notice (7/16/98)
- Technical Update 97-2: 1997 Model Participant Notice (3/17/97)
- Technical Update 96-5: 1996 Model Participant Notice (5/9/96)
In preparation for previous Enrolled Actuaries Meetings, staff of the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation met with representatives of the Enrolled Actuaries Program Committee to discuss a number of questions.
Summaries of the questions and answers (in PDF format) discussed at the meetings are available here as a public service.
The summaries reflect the views of individual staff members and do not represent the official position of PBGC.
- 2006 Question & Answer Summary (Questions 10-11) [PDF]
- 2005 Question & Answer Summary (Questions 13-16) [PDF]
- 2004 Question & Answer Summary (Question 10) [PDF]
- 2003 Question & Answer Summary (Questions 15-17) [PDF]
- 2002 Question & Answer Summary (Questions 17-18) [PDF]
- 1998 Question & Answer Summary (Questions 15-19) [PDF]