The Office of Benefits Administration (OBA) manages the termination process for defined benefit plans, provides participant services (including calculation and payment of benefits) for PBGC-trusteed plans, provides actuarial support for PBGC, and carries out PBGC's responsibilities under settlement agreements. OBA includes four departments, Operating Policy and Case Management Department, Plan Asset and Data Management Department, Actuarial Services and Technology Department, and Participant Services Department The Chief of Benefits Administration is David Foley. OBA can be reached during normal business hours at 202-229-4100 ext. 4050.
- The Actuarial Services and Technology Department (ASTD) provides actuarial oversight and expertise supporting PBGC benefit calculation, valuation, and administration as well as providing programmatic management, technical support, and quality assurance for OBA systems. The Director of ASTD is Scott Young.
- The Participant Services Department (PSD) provides post-approval benefit payment services for trusteed plans, settlement agreements and assigned non-trusteed plans in accordance with OBA standards for quality and timeliness. The Director of PSD is Jennifer Messina
- The Plan Asset and Data Management Department (PADMD) administers the OBA plan asset evaluations, participant data and records management programs by using auditor judgement and other analytical procedures; oversee the preservation of evidence supporting individual participant calculations and financial reporting. The Director of PADMD is Michael Hutchins
The Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO) includes three PBGC organizations, the Corporate Controls and Reviews Department (CCRD), the Corporate Investments Department (CID) and the Financial Operations Department (FOD). The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is Patricia Kelly. OCFO can be reached during normal business hours at 202-229-4170.
- The Corporate Controls and Reviews Department (CCRD) prepares reports regarding:
- the effectiveness of PBGC internal controls, systems, and programs;
- whether ongoing defined benefit pension plans are in compliance with PBGC regulations regarding premiums and funds advanced to multiemployer plans; and
- whether contractors performing services for PBGC are in compliance with PBGC's acquisition policies and contractual requirements.
CCRD also serves as the agency liaison for audits conducted by PBGC's Office of Inspector General and the Government Accountability Office and is responsible for administering PBGC's Management Controls Program. The Director of CCRD is Franklin Pace
- The Corporate Investments Department (CID) provides investment management services for plans trusteed by the PBGC and for assets managed by the Corporation. The Chief Investment Officer is John Greenberg.
- The Financial Operations Department (FOD) establishes and maintains the Corporation's financial and accounting systems, financial management policy, financial procedures, accounting operations, financial reporting and account analysis activities, the investment management program, the premium income program and the debt collection program. The Director of FOD is Theodore J. Winter, Jr.
The Office of Equal Employment Opportunity (OEEO) provides support to the Corporation for integrating the full spirit of EEO requirements within the agency's overall work environment, strategic mission and corporate initiatives and developing and maintaining a diverse, discrimination-free work environment. The Office of EEO is committed to assisting the Corporation in ensuring it provides equal opportunities for all employees. The Office of EEO provides oversight for PBGC's Affirmative Employment, EEO Complaints Process and EEO Alternative Dispute Resolution Programs. The EEO Director is Brenecia Watson. The EEO office may be reached during normal business hours at 202-229-4000 ext. 4363 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Office of the General Counsel (OGC) provides legal advice and counsel for the Director and PBGC departments on all legal matters. OGC decides administrative appeals of agency decisions concerning benefit coverage and other determinations and administers the disclosure and other requirements of the Freedom of Information and Privacy Acts. Additionally, the office oversees legal services related to PBGC’s insurance programs and represents PBGC in bankruptcy or insolvency proceedings. OGC provides legal analysis and services to support plan terminations, negotiations and settlements, and provide recommendations concerning the initiation of litigation. OGC consists of the four departments listed below. The General Counsel is Russell Dempsey. OGC may be reached during normal business hours at 202-229-4400.
- OGC’s Bankruptcy, Litigation, and Terminations Department (BLTD) oversees and directs comprehensive legal services to PBGC relating to enforcement of PBGC’s ERISA programs as relates to bankruptcy, litigation and terminations, and to support the General Counsel. The Deputy General Counsel for Bankruptcy, Litigation, and Terminations is Craig T. Fessenden.
- OGC’s Bankruptcy, Transactions, and Terminations Department (BTTD) oversees and directs the comprehensive legal services to PBGC relating to enforcement of PBGC’s ERISA programs as relates to bankruptcy, transactions, and terminations, and support to the General Counsel. The Deputy General Counsel for Bankruptcy, Transactions, and Terminations is Kartar Khalsa.
- OGC’s General Law and Operations Department (GLOD) provides legal advice and counsel for the General Counsel and the Corporation on all general law issues confronting the Corporation, decides administrative appeals of benefit coverage and other determinations, and administers the disclosure and other requirements of the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and the Privacy Act. The Deputy General Counsel for General Law and Operations is Paul Chalmers.
- OGC’s Program Law and Policy Department (PLPD) provides comprehensive legal advice and counsel for the General Counsel and the Corporation with respect to legislative, regulatory, and policy issues pertaining to PBGC’s mission; comprehensive legal services with respect to PBGC’s multiemployer program; and legal advice with respect to PBGC’s benefit determinations. The Deputy General Counsel for Program Law and Policy is Dan Liebman.
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) is responsible for the Corporation's information technology program. OIT provides IT and electronic communications services and support to PBGC; plans for, directs and coordinates the allocation of corporate resources for IT services, support and related activities; delivers IT business solutions driven by customer requirements; operates, maintains and safeguards PBGC business and infrastructure systems; and oversees the acquisition of IT resources for PBGC. OIT includes three Departments - the Business Innovation Services Department (BISD), the Enterprise Governance Department (EGD), and the Information Technology Infrastructure Operations Department (ITIOD). The Chief Information Officer is Robert Scherer. The CIO can be reached during normal business hours at 202-229-4130.
- The Business Innovation Services Department (BISD) transforms PBGC's business operations and addresses information management challenges through modernization of business and technology. The Director of BISD is Vidhya Shyamsunder.
- The Enterprise Cybersecurity Department (ECD) manages PBGC’s enterprise cybersecurity program. The department is responsible for the development and implementation of related agency-wide security policies, standards, and procedures, as well as all oversight for federal cybersecurity mandates. ECD conducts information technology security training and provides guidance to PBGC’s program areas. The Director of ECD is Tim Hurr.
- The Enterprise Governance Department (EGD) assists the CIO establish strategic direction. Ensures the effective and efficient use of IT, enabling the Office of Information Technology to achieve its goals. The Director of EGD is Melanie Carter.
- The Information Technology Infrastructure Operations Department (ITIOD) manages the delivery of the infrastructure systems and services, measuring capabilities to ensure service levels are met; and ensure the delivery of a secure, cost effective and sustained level of availability, supporting overall business continuity. The Director of ITIOD is Joshua Kossoy.
The Office of Management and Administration (OMA) includes five PBGC departments that provide advice and service to other PBGC offices and staff in the management support areas of human resources, employee development, personnel and physical security, facility services, emergency preparedness, records management, library services, telework, procurement, budget, process improvement, and strategic planning. The Chief Management Officer is Alice Maroni. OMA can be reached during normal business hours at 202-229-4180.
- The Budget Department (BD) plans, administers, and reports on the corporation's budget. BD represents PBGC across the executive and legislative branches on budget and manages the formulation and execution of the PBGC budget. The Director of BD is Kimberly Mayo.
- The Human Resources Department (HRD) provides PBGC managers with a team of leaders and professionals who can learn, contribute and grow to their fullest potential in support of the Corporation's mission. HRD plans and administers the Corporation's human resource management programs, including staffing, employee development and assistance, employee and labor relations, personnel policy activities, and Special Emphasis and Diversity Programs. The Director of HRD is Arrie Etheridge.
- The Procurement Department (PD) is responsible for the acquisition of all goods and services used by the PBGC to accomplish its mission. The PD, which follows the procedures established in the Federal Acquisition Regulations in awarding and administering its contracts, ensures that the contracts are performed in accordance with the terms and conditions established during the award process. The Director of PD is Juliet Felent.
- The Quality Management Department (QMD) develops agency strategic and annual plans, assesses work processes and customer feedback to identify improvements, uses performance data to inform corporate decisions, and employs business analytics to support continuous process improvement. The Director of QMD is Diane Braunstein
- The Workplace Solutions Department (WSD) plans and administers PBGC's facility management, including its lease administration and space utilization programs; administration and office support; building safety and security, Continuity of Operations (COOP), and disaster preparedness and recovery programs; records management program; and PBGC's telework program. WSD also manages the Corporate library and coordinates reference and research resources within PBGC. The Director of WSD is Alisa Cottone.
The Office of Negotiations & Restructuring (ONR) works with companies, both in and out of bankruptcy, to preserve their pension plans by monitoring, conducting financial, legal, and actuarial analysis, and negotiating protections. ONR includes The Corporate Finance & Restructuring Department (CFRD).When plans cannot be preserved, ONR pursues claims to recover additional assets that help PBGC pay benefits. ONR's responsibilities also include PBGC's review of standard terminations and management of the multiemployer insurance program. The Chief of Negotiations and Restructuring is Karen Morris.
- The Corporate Finance & Restructuring Department (CFRD) monitors the corporate events and transactions of defined benefit pension plan sponsors and provides financial and actuarial analyses to enable PBGC to mitigate risks to the insurance program and increase overall plan funding levels. CFRD determines and pursues recoveries of employer liability and unpaid employer contributions, makes recommendations to the Director concerning the filing of liens, and makes recommendations to the Internal Revenue Service concerning conditions for granting waivers of minimum funding standards. The Director of CFRD is Adi Berger.
- The Negotiations & Restructuring Actuarial Department (NRAD) supports the Single-Employer and Multiemployer Insurance Programs by providing actuarial analysis of underfunded plans and the implications of changes to plans and their sponsors. These efforts help to mitigate the risk exposure to the insurance programs, participants, and PBGC. The Director of NRAD is Jim Donofrio.
- The Plan Compliance Department (PCD) manages PBGC’s Multiemployer Insurance Program, standard termination activities, and ensures plan compliance with PBGC regulations and ERISA. The program also makes determinations on plan coverage and classifications. Provides advice and technical assistance to plan administrators, service providers, the general public, and other stakeholders. Monitors, reviews, and takes action on required multiemployer and standard termination filings. Provides financial assistance to insolvent multiemployer plans. Conducts audits of terminated or insolvent multiemployer plans and a significant number of standard termination filings. The Director of PCD is Rossi Marcelin.
The Office of Policy and External Affairs (OPEA) includes the Communications Outreach and Legislative Affairs Department (COLAD) and the Policy, Research and Analysis Department (PRAD). OPEA oversees and directs outreach to and interactions with Congress and Executive Branch agencies, the press, stakeholder groups, and the public. It also manages the development, analysis, and review of legislative and policy proposals and regulations (though the actual drafting is done by the Office of General Counsel). The Chief Policy Officer is Ann Orr.
- The Communications and Legislative Affairs Department (COLAD) is responsible for organizing, directing, and implementing a comprehensive external and internal communications program to enhance the knowledge and understanding of the PBGC mission, programs and services by the various customers it serves. COLAD coordinates PBGC's interactions with the press and various stakeholders, including organizations that represent pension plan participants, pension practitioners/administrators, plan sponsors, and Congress. (For Congressional inquiries, see PBGC Legislative Affairs for contact information). The Director of COLAD is Martha Threatt. COLAD can be reached during normal business hours at 202-229-4343.
- The Policy, Research, and Analysis Department (PRAD) develops policy for PBGC's insurance programs and conducts related research and modeling. Policy activity encompasses legislative and regulatory analysis and proposal development related to benefit guarantees, employer liability, and premiums. Research addresses actuarial and financial issues to support policy development and involves modeling for forecasting purposes. The Director of PRAD is Ted Goldman.