Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Domestic Relations Orders

Qualified Domestic Relations Orders and PBGC

When a couple divorces or separates, or one member seeks child or spousal support from the other, a court or state agency may divide a person's pension benefit or order payments from it by issuing a domestic relations order (DRO). When the DRO relates to a pension plan trusteed by PBGC, PBGC must review it to make sure it is in line with ERISA, the federal pension law, as well as PBGC policies.

Subscribe to Domestic Relations Orders