Skip to main content

Workers & Retirees

IRS Income Tax Form 1099-R

If you receive a benefit from PBGC, we report the amount annually to the IRS.

For income tax purposes, each year PBGC will send you an IRS Form 1099-R that states the amount we paid you the previous year. 

We'll mail your Form 1099-R for 2015 to your address of record by Monday, February 1, 2016. If you don't receive your form soon after the mailing date, we offer the following options:

How to Obtain Your 1099-R From PBGC:

  • Use our online service, MyPBA, to view and print a copy of your 1099-R tax form for the most recent tax year. Forms for 2015 will become available on February 2, 2016. 


  • Call PBGC's Customer Contact Center to request a form by mail.
    • The number is 1-800-400-7242.
    • For TTY/ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange) users, call the federal relay service toll-free at 1-800-877-8339 and ask to be connected to the number above.
    • Please have your Social Security number, plan name and case number ready for the customer service representative. 

See also: IRS Form 1099-R Frequently Asked Questions.

More information about Form 1099-R is available on the IRS website:

State Income Taxes

While PBGC is required to withhold federal income tax, we do not withhold for state taxes. If your state has an income tax, you may owe tax on your PBGC benefit. To find out more, contact your state tax office (Excel file, 14.4 KB).