Apply for Your Pension Benefits
Things to remember about applying for benefits:
- You can apply for a pension if:
- you are now eligible or will be eligible within the next 90 days to receive benefits from PBGC, under the provisions of your pension plan; and
- you would like to begin receiving your retirement benefit within the next 90 days
- PBGC strongly recommends that you request an estimate before applying for your pension benefits. An estimate will provide you with information about the amount of your benefit for each possible form of benefit available to you on the date you want your benefits to start.
- PBGC will contact you if you are missing any "proof documents" (e.g., a birth certificate) that are required to complete your application.
- Note: if you are applying as a beneficiary of a deceased participant, please go to beneficiary application for benefits
How to apply:
- Use our online service to apply
- Call PBGC's Customer Contact Center to request an application for pension benefits.
- Call at 1-800-400-7242. For TTY/ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange) users, call the federal relay service toll-free at 1-800-877-8339 and ask to be connected to the number above.
- Remember to have your social security number, plan name and case number ready for the customer service representative so that they are better able to help you.