Apply for Your Pension Benefits
Things to remember about applying for benefits:
- You can apply for pension benefits if:
- You have received a benefit estimate or Optional Benefit Form letter from PBGC;
- An estimate will provide you with information about the amount of your benefit for each possible form of benefit available to you on the date you want your benefits to start.
- You are now eligible or will be eligible within the next 180 days to receive benefits from PBGC, under the provisions of your pension plan; and
- You would like to begin receiving your retirement benefit within the next 180 days
- PBGC will contact you if you are missing any "proof documents" (e.g., a birth certificate) that are required to complete your application.
- Note: if you are applying as a beneficiary of a deceased participant, more information can be found on PBGC's Apply for Survivor Benefits webpage.
How to apply:
- Use MyPBA, PBGC's online service, to apply
- Call PBGC's Customer Contact Center to request an application for pension benefits.
- Call at 1-800-400-7242. For TTY/ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange) users, call the federal relay service toll-free at 1-800-877-8339 and ask to be connected to the number above.
- Remember to have your Social Security number, plan name and case number ready for the customer service representative so that they are better able to help you.