Workers & Retirees
Additional External Resources for Finding an Unclaimed Pension
- The Administration on Aging’s Pension Counseling and Information Program provides assistance to older Americans searching for lost pensions.
- The Pension Rights Center is a nonprofit consumer organization that provides information on pension-related topics and hosts PensionHelp America, an online resource for connecting individuals with counseling projects, government agencies, and legal service providers that offer free information and assistance.
- The Employee Benefits Security Administration’s Abandoned Plan Program provides assistance finding abandoned pension plans and the employers associated with those plans.
- USA.gov offers resources to connect citizens with unclaimed money from the U.S. government.
- Learn more about pensions offered to veterans and their survivors through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Information about federal and military pensions is available from the Office of Personnel Management, Thrift Savings Plan, and Department of Defense.
- The U.S. Railroad Retirement Board administers retirement benefits for railroad workers and their families.
- For state and local pension plans, visit state government websites or municipality websites and contact the applicable personnel office.
- The National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators runs www.unclaimed.org, a free tool to search for unclaimed assets in any state you've lived in.
- The National Registry of Unclaimed Retirement Benefits is a nationwide, secure database of retirement plan account balances that have been left unclaimed.
- Your investments in life and health insurance are protected, up to legal limits, by State Life and Health Insurance Guaranty Association Offices.
- Learn about benefits from the Social Security Administration.
- While PBGC is not associated with 401(k) plans, the Internal Revenue Service's 401(k) Overview and the Department of Labor's Retirement Plans, Benefits & Savings page provide information about 401(k) plans.