US Airways - Payments
Pension Plans Covered
The Retirement Income Plan for Pilots of US Airways, Inc. terminated on March 31, 2003.
Back to top
PBGC will review each participant's records and calculate the benefit based on the provisions of the pension plan and the legal limits on PBGC's guarantees.
Back to top
PBGC guarantees monthly pension benefits beginning at normal retirement age, certain early retirement benefits, and spousal benefits under joint and survivor coverage. Federal pension law limits the type and amount of benefits that PBGC guarantees. For plans terminating in 2003, such as the US Airways plan, PBGC guarantees a maximum monthly amount of $3,664.77 per month or $43,977.24 per year for a person age 65 with no survivor benefits. The amounts are adjusted for retirees at other ages or those who elect survivor benefits. Also, a benefit is guaranteed only if the conditions for the benefit are satisfied before plan termination.
Back to top
To determine the amount of benefit payments that each plan participant should receive, PBGC uses a number of calculations. The details of these calculations are different for each plan, and sometimes for each type of employee. For details on how PBGC determines your specific benefit payment, contact the Contact Center toll-free at 1-800-400-7242. For TTY/ASCII users, call the federal relay service toll-free at 1-800-877-8339 and ask to be connected to 1-800-400-7242.
Some of the factors PBGC considers when calculating your benefit include:
- Vesting - How many years of service you had with US Airways.
- Compensation - Your salary or any compensation paid to you under an approved incentive program, excluding overtime, sick pay, and expenses.
- Retirement Dates - The date on which you retire. PBGC uses a formula to calculate payments based on the age of retirement (early, normal, or late). These ages are different for each type of plan.
- Disability - Whether or not you are eligible for US Airways Long Term Disability Plan (LTD).
- Employee Contributions - Whether or not you made employee contributions to the plan.
- Amount of Your Benefit - PBGC can pay you a lump sum (one single payment) if the value of your benefit is $5,000 or less. Interest will be paid from the date of plan termination (March 31, 2003) to the payment date. For those with a benefit worth more than $5,000, the federal law under which PBGC operates does not allow the pension plan or PBGC to pay the benefit in a lump sum after March 31, 2003. PBGC will pay such benefits in annuity form.
- Form of Annuity - PBGC offers several payment options for US Airways plan participants who will receive their first payment after May 1, 2003:
- Straight Life Annuity - Periodic payments for the life of the participant with no benefits payable after the participant's death.
- 5-Year, 10-Year or 15-Year Certain-and-Continuous Annuity - An annuity paying a fixed monthly benefit to the participant for either 5, 10 or 15 years. If the participant dies before the end of the designated time period, the designated beneficiary will receive the same monthly benefit for the remainder of the period. If the participant dies after the end of the period, benefit payments end upon death.
- Joint and Survivor Annuity (50%, 75%, or 100%) - An annuity paying one individual for his or her life and then providing for an annuity for the person's surviving beneficiary. The surviving beneficiary's benefit amount is either 50%, 75% or 100% of the participant's amount.
- Joint-and 50%- Survivor "Pop-up" Annuity - If a spouse or beneficiary dies before the participant, the monthly benefit amount "pops-up" to the straight-life annuity amount for the rest of the participant's life.
- Pre-Retirement Survivor Benefit - If the participant dies before retirement and after March 31, 2003, PBGC will pay the spouse 50% of the participant's benefit. The benefit will be paid commencing at the participant's earliest retirement date. This coverage is provided free of charge.
Request a Benefit Estimate
If you anticipate retiring in the next 180 days, you can request an estimate of your benefit payments. Contact PBGC's Contact Center by calling toll-free 1-800-400-7242. For TTY/ASCII users, call the federal relay service toll-free at 1-800-877-8339 and ask to be connected to 1-800-400-7242. PBGC staff is available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday - Friday (Participant Inquiries only: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday - Friday), to answer your questions.
Back to top
You can also mail a request for an estimate of your benefit to the address below. Please include the plan name and case number on the envelope. You can find your plan's case number in your Notification of Trusteeship letter.
P.O. Box 151750
Alexandria, VA 22315-1750