Pellet Hourly - Why is my friend's benefit higher than mine and we worked the same number of years?
There are many reasons that the benefits for two people who worked the same number of years will be different:
- Your friend's highest benefit may be from the regular formula, while your benefit is from the minimum formula.
- When the plan increased benefits within 5 years before DOPT, you may have received an increase that your friend did not receive because the plan did not change both formulas each time it increased benefits.
- You may be receiving a larger benefit from Polyone than your friend receives from Polyone, so your benefit from PBGC is smaller than your friend's benefit from PBGC.
- If you are younger than your friend, your PBGC Maximum Monthly Amount is smaller than your friend's PBGC Maximum Monthly Amount.
- If your benefit provides more survivor benefits than your friend's benefit, your PBGC Maximum Monthly Amount is smaller than your friend's PBGC Maximum Monthly Amount.