The Office of Policy and External Affairs (OPEA) includes two departments, the Communications Outreach and Legislative Affairs (COLA) and the Policy, Research and Analysis department (PRAD). OPEA oversees and directs outreach to and interactions with Congress and Executive Branch agencies, the press, stakeholder groups, and the public. It also manages the development, analysis, and review of legislative and policy proposals and regulations (though the actual drafting is done by the Office of General Counsel). The position of Chief Policy Officer is vacant. Deputy Chief Policy Officer is Michael Rae. OPEA can be reached during normal business hours at 202-326-4010.
- The Office of Communications and Legislative Affairs (COLA) is responsible for organizing, directing, and implementing a comprehensive external and internal communications program to enhance the knowledge and understanding of the PBGC mission, programs and services by the various customers it serves. COLA coordinates PBGC's interactions with the press and various stakeholders, including organizations that represent pension plan participants, pension practitioners/administrators, plan sponsors, and Congress. (For Congressional inquiries, see PBGC Legislative Affairs for contact information). The Acting Director of COLA is Martha Threatt.
- The Policy, Research, and Analysis Department (PRAD) develops policy for PBGC's insurance programs and conducts related research and modeling. Policy activity encompasses legislative and regulatory analysis and proposal development related to benefit guarantees, employer liability, and premiums. Research addresses actuarial and financial issues to support policy development and involves modeling for forecasting purposes. The Director of PRAD is Christopher Bone.
The Office of Benefits Administration (OBA) manages the termination process for defined benefit plans, provides participant services (including calculation and payment of benefits) for PBGC-trusteed plans, provides actuarial support for PBGC, and carries out PBGC's responsibilities under settlement agreements. OBA includes four departments, Operating Policy and Case Management Department, Plan Asset and Data Management Department, Actuarial Services and Technology Department, and Participant Services Department. The Chief of Benefits Administration is Cathy Kronopolus. OBA can be reached during normal business hours at 202-326-4100 ext. 4050.
- The Operating Policy and Case Management Department (OPCMD) ensures that cases are processed timely and efficiently in accordance with the law, regulations and operational needs. The Director of OPCMD is Jennifer Messina.
- The Plan Asset and Data Management Department (PADMD) administers the OBA plan asset evaluations, participant data and records management programs by using auditor judgement and other analytical procedures; oversee the preservation of evidence supporting individual participant calculations and financial reporting. The Director of PADMD is Wilmer Graham.
- The Actuarial Services and Technology Department (ASTD) provides actuarial oversight and expertise supporting PBGC benefit calculation, valuation, and administration as well as providing programmatic management, technical support, and quality assurance for OBA systems. The Director of ASTD is Scott Young.
- The Participant Services Department (PSD) provides post-approval benefit payment services for trusteed plans, settlement agreements and assigned non-trusteed plans in accordance with OBA standards for quality and timeliness. The Acting Director of PSD is Jennifer Messina.
The Office of Negotiations & Restructuring (ONR) works with companies, both in and out of bankruptcy, to preserve their pension plans by monitoring, conducting financial, legal, and actuarial analysis, and negotiating protections. ONR includes The Corporate Finance & Restructuring Department (CFRD). When plans cannot be preserved, ONR pursues claims to recover additional assets that help PBGC pay benefits. ONR's responsibilities also include PBGC's review of standard terminations and management of the multiemployer insurance program. The Chief of Negotiations and Restructuring is Karen Morris. ONR can be reached during normal business hours at 202-326-4020.
- The Corporate Finance & Restructuring Department (CFRD) monitors the corporate events and transactions of defined benefit pension plan sponsors and provides financial and actuarial analyses to enable PBGC to mitigate risks to the insurance program and increase overall plan funding levels. In coordination with the Office of Chief Counsel, CFRD determines and pursues recoveries of employer liability and unpaid employer contributions, makes recommendations to the Executive Director concerning the filing of liens, and makes recommendations to the Internal Revenue Service concerning conditions for granting waivers of minimum funding standards. The Acting Director of CFRD is Adi Berger.
The Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO) includes three PBGC organizations, the Financial Operations Department (FOD), the Corporate Investment Department (CID), and the Corporate Controls and Reviews Department (CCRD). The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is Patricia Kelly. OCFO can be reached during normal business hours at 202-326-4170.
- The Financial Operations Department (FOD) establishes and maintains the Corporation's financial and accounting systems, financial management policy, financial procedures, accounting operations, financial reporting and account analysis activities, the investment management program, the premium income program and the debt collection program. The Director of FOD is Theodore J. Winter, Jr.
- The Corporate Investments Department (CID) provides investment management services for plans trusteed by the PBGC and for assets managed by the Corporation. The Chief Investment Officer is John Greenberg.
- The Corporate Controls and Reviews Department (CCRD) prepares reports regarding:
- the effectiveness of PBGC internal controls, systems, and programs;
- whether ongoing defined benefit pension plans are in compliance with PBGC regulations regarding premiums and funds advanced to multiemployer plans; and
- whether contractors performing services for PBGC are in compliance with PBGC's acquisition policies and contractual requirements.
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) is responsible for the Corporation's information technology program. OIT provides IT and electronic communications services and support to PBGC; plans for, directs and coordinates the allocation of corporate resources for IT services, support and related activities; delivers IT business solutions driven by customer requirements; operates, maintains and safeguards PBGC business and infrastructure systems; and oversees the acquisition of IT resources for PBGC. OIT includes two Departments - the Information Technology and Business Modernization Department (IT&BMD), and the Information Technology Infrastructure Operations Department (ITIOD). The Chief Information Officer is Robert Scherer. The CIO can be reached during normal business hours at 202-326-4130.
- The Information Technology and Business Modernization Department (IT&BMD) provides Information Technology (IT) business solutions and services in support of PBGC mission, goals, and objectives. IT&BMD develops and manages an enterprise architecture describing the current and desired relationships among business and management processes and information technology, laying out a blueprint for incremental change to both business and technology; provides Capital Planning Investment Control (CPIC) planning, selection, investment control, management, and framework in which the corporation makes IT investment decisions. The Director of IT&BMD is Vidhya Shyamsunder.
- The Information Technology Infrastructure Operations Department (ITIOD) manages the delivery of the infrastructure systems and services, measuring capabilities to ensure service levels are met; and ensure the delivery of a secure, cost effective and sustained level of availability, supporting overall business continuity. The Director of ITIOD is Joshua Kossoy.
The Office of Management and Administration (OMA) includes five PBGC departments that provide advice and service to other PBGC offices and staff in the management support areas of human resources, employee development, personnel and physical security, facility services, emergency preparedness, records management, library services, telework, procurement, budget, process improvement, and strategic planning. The Chief Management Officer is Alice Maroni. OMA can be reached during normal business hours at 202-326-4180.
- The Quality Management Department (QMD) develops agency strategic and annual plans, assesses work processes and customer feedback to identify improvements, uses performance data to inform corporate decisions, and employs business analytics to support continuous process improvement. The Director of QMD is Diane Braunstein.
- The Budget Department (BD) plans, administers, and reports on the corporation's budget. BD represents PBGC across the executive and legislative branches on budget and manages the formulation and execution of the PBGC budget. The Director of BD is Edgar Bennett.
- The Human Resources Department (HRD) provides PBGC managers with a team of leaders and professionals who can learn, contribute and grow to their fullest potential in support of the Corporation's mission. HRD plans and administers the Corporation's human resource management programs, including staffing, employee development and assistance, employee and labor relations, personnel policy activities, and Special Emphasis and Diversity Programs. The Director of HRD is Arrie Etheridge.
- The Workplace Solutions Department (WSD) plans and administers PBGC's facility management, including its lease administration and space utilization programs; administration and office support; building safety and security, Continuity of Operations (COOP), and disaster preparedness and recovery programs; records management program; and PBGC's telework program. WSD also manages the Corporate library and coordinates reference and research resources within PBGC. The Director of WSD is Alisa Cottone.
- The Procurement Department (PD) is responsible for the acquisition of all goods and services used by the PBGC to accomplish its mission. The PD, which follows the procedures established in the Federal Acquisition Regulations in awarding and administering its contracts, ensures that the contracts are performed in accordance with the terms and conditions established during the award process. The Director of PD is Steve Block.
The Office of the General Counsel (OGC) provides legal advice and counsel for the Director and PBGC departments on all legal matters and includes the Office of Chief Counsel (OCC). OGC also decides administrative appeals of agency decisions concerning benefit coverage and other determinations and administers the disclosure and other requirements of the Freedom of Information and Privacy Acts. The General Counsel is Judith Starr. OGC may be reached during normal business hours at 202-326-4400.
- The Office of the Chief Counsel (OCC) provides legal services related to PBGC’s insurance program, handles plan terminations, represents PBGC in bankruptcy or insolvency proceedings, provides legal advice and services to support negotiations and settlements, and makes recommendations concerning the initiation of litigation. Israel Goldowitz is Chief Counsel.
The Office of Equal Employment Opportunity (OEEO) provides support to the Corporation for integrating the full spirit of EEO requirements within the agency's overall work environment, strategic mission and corporate initiatives and developing and maintaining a diverse, discrimination-free work environment. The Office of EEO is committed to assisting the Corporation in ensuring it provides equal opportunities for all employees. The Office of EEO provides oversight for PBGC's Affirmative Employment, EEO Complaints Process and EEO Alternative Dispute Resolution Programs. The EEO Director is Brenecia Watson. The EEO office may be reached during normal business hours at 202-326-4000 ext. 4363 or at email@example.com.